Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Sense of Entitlement (probably needs to be questioned)


Today I went to the grocery store to buy the week's worth of groceries. On my weekly (or thereabouts) visits, I usually get very frustrated because there is usually something on the list that isn't available at the grocery store where I shop. Today I was very upset because the store was out of cauliflower. I became very agitated. I wanted cauliflower (for a vegetable korma for Thursday's dinner) and now my whole grocery shopping experience was ruined. I thought this while I picked up some raspberries, some fresh herbs and other produce. During a later car ride, I began to question my earlier temper tantrum. Why should I have cauliflower in February, let alone raspberries? I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and it's mid January, and I am upset because the store was out of cauliflower! Should I even be entitled to cauliflower in January? Raspberries? Cherries? I am probably being dramatic and I pretty much love the fact that I can make any recipe in any of my cookbooks anytime of year and will probably be able to find the ingredients somewhere in Ottawa. Another problem with the world. I will probably complain next week when the store is out of snow peas. Not sure which is worse.

What I did today
1. Went to the gym (which I do 5-6 times a week)
2. I thought about the Ipod, the digital camera and the tires I want for my birthday (my sense of entitlement goes way beyond the produce section of the supermarket)
3. Had brunch and enjoyed some lady grey tea ... you should try it.
4. Went to the grocery store
5. Made dinner for a friend and watched 4 hrs of 24.

Cooking Tip of the Day: If you are short for time but still crave something more refined, use prepared foods (a contradiction) to your advantage. For example take a prepared pasta sauce and add fresh herbs, a veggie, maybe even some wine and volia something that tastes like you spent all afternoon slaving over your stove (is it always about appearances?)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly....really enjoying reading your blog! It is amusing (where it means to be!) and informative. I'm not a huge fan of cooking, but like to get into it when I have the time and I am storing your hints and suggestions away for future use. So in the words of Ellen DeGeneres (sorry, not much else to do in the middle of the day while on mat leave stuck on the couch nursing Lauren than watch talk shows...I'm officially an Ellen junkie - she's quite funny!) Write-on!
Secondly....speaking of 24....do you know if either you or Jo still have my copy of season 4? I have lost track of where it went and was just wondering.
Lastly, speaking of your birthday....Catherine Doyle is expecting and due to deliver on the 25th!

SBP said...

Pass Catherine my congratulations to her, and tell her I'm still waiting for Christine's phone #! :)