Saturday, January 20, 2007

Judging the Art or The Artist?

When choosing what films you will see, the TV shows you watch the books you read, do you ever consider the artist's (meaning actor, artist, writer) political views, moral upbringing, or public acts? Hmmm....
Over the last few months there have been examples (mainly actors) of artists behaving inappropriately in public and those who have declared 'I can't watch their show anymore', 'I can never watch a film he has written', 'every time I see him on the screen I cringe'.
Some recent examples in the public eye have included Michael Richards of Seinfeld, Isiah Washington of Grey's Anatomy and one that always comes to mind for me is Woody Allen. I am sure there are many, many more (Oh I just though of another... Bill Clinton he is not an artist I know, well actually he has written a book, but you get my drift)
I really enjoy Seinfeld, Grey's Anatomy and I love Woody Allen films. I guess by viewing this shows and movies I am supporting their livelihoods. Am I also condoning their behaviour?
Is there more to the story that what has been presented to us? I would say probably. But I doubt it would absolve them completely of what they have done.
I do not have any answers. But I guess my actions speak louder than words.

Recent observations:

1. I have grown older much faster than I would have liked.
2. Some things never change.
3. Eating garbage (not actual garbage but I am sure it does, I mean junk food - eating no fruits and vegetables) makes you feel like crap ( like I didn't know that one)
4. I am a total drama queen.
5. I love George on Grey's Anatomy - his character is someone I would like to date. I can't stay T.R. Knight since I do not know him personally, he is gay and sorry T.R. I have enough friends.

Cooking Tip of the day: Bake cookies on a sheet of parchment paper. Your cookies will not stick to the cookie s

1 comment:

SBP said...

Unfortunately, with Woody Allen writing himself roles at the age of 60 dating girls in their 20s, he has written characters that in some ways reflect his own life but also aren't very realistic. We probably shouldn't bring their personal lives to the movies, but if Paul Bernado decided to do a movie, how can you block his life out? Allen just comes across to me as a dirty old man.