Monday, March 9, 2009

International Women's Day





Today is International Women's Day. Does this mean anything to you?   Why do we celebrate it?  I think sometimes living in a privilaged western society we forget about it's importance. Are women still treated equal in our society?  No.  When male managers comment on the colour of my blouse instead of my record breaking fundraising totals, I would say no.   When a hiring manager deciedes against a woman is their 20's or 30's, because they may get pregnant, again I would say no.  When many woman feel that they are not adquate because they do not look a certain way, I would say no. I am sure you can think of millon more examples. What's upsetting is you probably know some examples from personal experience.    As cheesy as this may sound, I guess  one thing we can do is think about these issues and act accordingly.  I truely believe many of the worlds problems will be solved once woman and men are truely viewed as equals.

Many of the reasons, why I am lucky to be me:

1.  I love my job and the people I work with
2.  I have amazing friends and family
3.  I get to do what I want when I want, no restrictions (although I may change my mind one day)
4. I think for the first time I am starting to be comfortable in my own skin
5. I have freckles

Cooking tip of the day:   Don't beat yourself up  if you come home and you don't feel like cooking, you are not lazy.  Instead  pick an activity you love (watch your favorite TV show, read a book or a magazine, spend some time with family or friends) and order some take out from a new place you have been meaning to try, and enjoy!


No comments: