Wednesday, September 5, 2007

STRIKE

Today I walked my first picket line and I really hope it is my last one. I hope that my union CUPE 2424 and Carleton University come to an agreement soon. Over the last few weeks, I have thought a lot about the place of unions in today's society. I know there is still a need for them, I also know I am well taken care of at Carleton. Would that be the case if there wasn't a union? I am not sure. The one thing that I hate about this whole thing is the tension a strike or lockout has on a workplace. Today, the first day of our strike, there were already some moments of high tension, moments when people could have gotten hurt (car vs. picketer). I also witnessed someone from our union (I do not know who they were) cross the picket line, and you knew in that instant whatever office they work in on campus things would not be the same. I am also frustrated because I hate not knowing what is happening one day to the next. So think of me at 6am when I am on the picket line tomorrow!!

Social Activities that don't break the bank:

1. Go for coffee or bubble tea
2. Go to cheap night at the movies (Tuesdays only costs $4.25)
3 Go to a museum or art gallery on a Thursday - it's free!
4. Read a book.
5. Go to a CBC radio live event - again it's free!

Cooking Tip of the Day: Kraft dinner is delicious and so cheap!!

1 comment:

SBP said...

The media is playing up CUPE turned down a 3% increase every year for three years but fail to mention Carleton U is wanting retirements benefits to be cut in half. I do hope you go back to work soon and it gets resolved.

And yes, Kraft Dinner is delicious!