Monday, August 6, 2007

Summer Movies


Over the last few weeks I have seen some summer flicks. What did I think?

No Reservations falls short. It's cute and leaves you hungry (the food looks delicious) and it's other redeeming quality is Aaron Eckhart. Rent it only if the premise appeals to you, don't bother going to see it.

Hairspray, I really enjoyed this film, it's very entertaining and very funny. Some people feel that John Travolta is a draw for this film, I find him more of a distraction. Travolta playing a women is never believable. If you like musicals pay full price, if not consider it on a half price Tuesday.

I then moved on to the Simpsons. I have never been a huge fan of the Simpsons, mostly because my brother liked it when I was growing up. But I have always appreciated it's commentary on modern American life. My brother was excited to see it, so I thought it would be best to see it with him. It was pretty funny. Although I thought the movie would take more chances, and go beyond it's normal sitcom boundaries, but it didn't. It was well worth the $4.20 admission.

Finally, I saw the movie of the summer. The Bourne Ultimatum. This movie is great, not only does it star Matt, but it is exactly what an action movie should be. It has a great cast, and uses them to their ability (i.e. Julia Stiles has maybe 5 lines, but is in the film for maybe 45 minutes). The action scenes are wonderfully orchestrated. It's a non -stop ride. The film is never gory, but allows you to understand the pain that the characters feel and did I mention that Matt is in it? Pay full price to see this film. In fact, if you need someone to go to this film with you, I will. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.


What I did this long weekend:

1. Had some bacon with Neil and Cindy (okay it was a delicious pasta with some bacon in it)

2. Bubble Tea

3. Pizza with the folks from Diabetes

4. Dinner with Adelaide, Andrew and Christie (Happy 31st birthday - Andrew!!)

5. Brunch with my brothers, mom and a visit to the Treasures of China Exhibit at the Museum of Civilization.


Cooking Tip of the Day: On hot summer days, prepare a salad. Just be sure to add some sort of protein to make it a complete meal. Serve with some fresh rolls. Delicious.





No comments: